Wednesday, June 9, 2010

7 layer salad

The Man asked me to make him some 7 layer salad....so on Monday we went and got groceries and I was going to assemble the salad...because you are supposed to let it sit over night in the fridge...buttttttt....guess who forgot the green onions....

*sheepishly raises hand*.....I saw them...thought...I need to grab those after I'm done with these peppers...and promptly forgot...till I got home...

soo, I made up the mayo mix (which is really the part that needs to sit) and the Man came home with green onions yesterday...so I made up the salad...let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours and bam....it was ready....

Now, if you wanted to make this all pretty....where you could admire the layers, you would make it in a nice glass dish...but, we are just gonna eat it, and nobody but us is gonna see it...so...into my brand new corningware dish it went...(I had to try it out after all)

start out with a head of lettuce...rip, chop, tear that sucker up....and place it in your bowl....

next, we have half a head of broccoli and half a head of cauliflower....no stalks...just the florets...chopped into small pieces as the next layer...you could use all broccoli or all cauliflower...we just like to mix it up...

then....
chop up a bunch of green onions....just the green parts...

throw those on top of the broccoli and cauliflower...you can use more if you are so inclined...really, it's up to you...this salad is super easy....

PEAS!!....a whole package of frozen peas....that have been thawed....I don't even LIKE peas and I'll eat this....so that says something...(yeah, doofus...it says you are one picky eater....LOL)

next comes the mayo....1 cup...if you don't mind...now...here's the thing...you want to either mix that with 2 tablespoons of sugar (or sweetener)...or spread the mayo on...and then sprinkle the sugar (sweetener) on top....your choice...

some cheese if you please.....about 2 cups....this is medium cheddar....but pick something you like...

and last but not least....bacon bits!!!!....this is a package of bacon bits because...well....at the moment the only bacon I have is in the freezer....and I was being lazy....lol...but if you were gonna cook some bacon up...I'd use 4 to 8 pieces...depending on how much you want...I'm an 8 piece girl myself...(ok, more like 12 but don't go spreading that around...)

then you would cover and chill over night in the fridge....

and then eat it!



7 Layer Salad

1 head of lettuce torn to pieces
1/2 head of broccoli (florets only) chopped into small pieces and
1/2 head of cauliflower chopped into small pieces
1 bunch of green onions sliced...green parts only
1 package of frozen peas 14-16 oz....thawed
1 cup of mayo
2 tablespoons of sugar (or sweetener)
2 cups of shredded cheese
4 to 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (or 1 or 2 packages of real bacon bits)

Assemble salad in the order given.  Broccoli and cauliflower make up one layer. Sugar may be mixed with the mayo or sprinkled on the top before adding the next layer....chill in refrigerator overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment