Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hello Judy's

My MIL makes these all the time....they are a favorite among her grandkids (and great grandkids).....so of course they are a hit here at my house...

I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to her house for breakfast (biscuits and gravy) only to return home with a box of cake mix and chocolate chips...so that I can make these for her little sweeties....

As I understand it, this recipe came from Aunt Trish and were originally called Hello Dollies....but somehow...because of another Aunt named Judy....got a name change along the way....and I've looked up recipes for hello dollies before, but those always contain graham crackers and other things...so these are different...but easy and oh so good (but not low fat...so if that bothers you...run, run away right now...lol)

first things first....you want to spray the sides and bottom of a 13x9 pan with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350*

also...no electric mixers here...this is done by hand with a spoon....so...grab a bowl and let's get busy

you need one box of butter recipe yellow cake mix....yes, the whole box...

2 eggs....

 1/2 cup of oil....yes, that is what I said...1/2 cup....see, not low fat...I guess maybe you could do the replace with applesauce thing...but really....we are making something with cake mix and chocolate chips...go ahead...indulge yourself...

2 tablespoons of water....

now with a wooden or plastic spoon...stir that up...yes, it will be lumpy....
we like lumpy....now...if you like nuts...feel free to add 1 cup of whatever rocks your socks here...my kiddos, even though they are Squirrel butts....do NOT like nuts....well, they might like peanuts but we've never tried that...

add one package of chocolate chips....semi  sweet,milk chocolate, dark, butterscotch, peanut butter...I dunno...knock 
 yourself out...

Once....the kidlet and I didn't have chocolate chips and make "Hello Honey's"....where we drizzled honey all over the mix once it was in the pan....those were delicious too....

mix in your chocolate chips
here it looks like cookie dough....I bet you could make cookies with it....I've never tried....

scrape into pan (yes, it doesn't pour...you gotta work for it)
spread it around as evenly as possible...

bake for 25-30 minutes
let cool and cut into 24 squares....

try to eat just one...go ahead...I DARE you...
mmmmm.....

tasty......sorry, I couldn't help myself...




Hello Judy's

Ingredients

1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup of oil
2 tablespoons of water
1 cup nuts (optional)
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips (or whatever you prefer)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the sides and bottom of a 13x9 pan with cooking spray. (note this must be mixed by hand, no mixers) In a bowl combine cake mix, eggs, oil and water. Stir with a wooden or plastic spoon, mixture will be lumpy. Add your nuts (optional) and your chocolate chips, stirring to combine. Scrape into pan, trying to get as even as possible. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and cut into 24 squares.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Nikki :-),
    Looks like you got that recipe down pat! They certainly look like the ones I've made for years. Now, let me explain where "Hello Judys" came from. Many years ago (over 25, but I'm not exactly sure just "how many") our pastor's wife (whose name was "Judy") brought these to a potluck at church. She didn't have a name for them, but after I tasted them and she gave me the recipe, I decided to call them "Hello Judys" because the "flavor" reminded me of the taste I remembered when I ate "Hello Dollies." (just the flavor, not the consistency or the ingredients, because you're right, the real "Hello Dollies" have coconut/nuts/butterscotch chips/graham cracker crumbs/chocolate chips/sweetened condensed milk, etc. in them.) Sooooo... that's the origin of "Hello Judys" :-) Now, after your Aunt Robbie got the recipe from me, she may have christened it "Hello Judy" to honor Judy Raver... ya' never know about the Casey Sisters! They've been known to do some wild things! :-) You have to watch them closely---especially in the kitchen! :-) Ha! I'm glad you and your youngins' have enJOYed the recipe. It's one I take to lots of folks, as a quick, last-minute dessert that's so easy to stir up with very little mess... and tastes oh so good. They store for days, too!

    Love you,
    Aunt Trish
    (love your BLOG posts, as well. You're doing great with the recipes and the photography. You will have to put these together and do a cookbook proposal to a publisher someday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOPS... I just noticed that I referred to your MIL as your "Aunt!" I'm ROTFL!!! Sorry 'bout that... I knew better, but there are just soooooooooo many nieces and nephews to keep up with, I guess I assumed she was YOUR AUNT, TOO! :-) You'll have to tell her what her crazy sister (or as we call each other, "SAS-ter") did to embarrass herself! :-) TTYL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more P.S.... I've "messed with" the recipe a little over the years and found that if you add 3 Tbsp. of water it makes the Hello Judys a little more moist. AND, IF you want them to be more "cake like" and less "brownie like" (less gooey), then add 3 eggs, instead of 2 eggs. Just some variations to make them a little different. All are very good, just depends on how you want them to turn out. I used this recipe the other day with Devil's Food cake mix and Cherry Chips (just like chocolate chips, except cherry flavored---yum!) and 3 kinds of dried cherries (that I bought at Sam's). It was oh soooooo good! I named it "Cherry Mash Cake" :-) It sorta tasted like the Cherry Mash candy we used to buy when I was a kid. YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, is that where the name comes from?..I thought Robbie said that they somehow got called Hello Judy's because of Judy Raver, lol....but who knows...

    I've thought about making them with chocolate cake and those andes mint pieces....but just haven't tried it yet....

    these are Chase's favorite dessert....so good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. geez, I meant "who knows" as in, who knows if that is what she said or I just imagined it...lol...sometimes my brain gets ahead of my fingers....and I just move right along...

    ReplyDelete