Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Snowballs

My mom used to make these for my sister and I when we were younger....I haven't made them in ages...I think I'm out of practice because I remember hers looking so much better than mine...mine are more like mutant octopi than snow"balls"....lol

for this recipe you will need eggs, sugar, cinnamon (or nutmeg...your choice), salt, baking powder, vanilla, flour, oil for frying (that's right...if you want low fat...run away right now...it ain't here), and powdered sugar for coating

heat your oil up in a pot (I used a 5 quart stock pot...but whatever...you just need something that will hold 3 or four inches worth of oil)....try to get the oil about 350*...I think...personally I wing it....but then, that's how I do most things...LOL

In a bowl...
add 2 eggs......

to that add 1 cup of sugar and cream until smooth....

like so....

then add
1 cup of milk

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (my mom's original recipe calls for nutmeg...but since half of my family hates nutmeg...I used cinnamon)

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (this wasn't in my mom's recipe...but I thought it worked well with the cinnamon)

2 teaspoons of baking powder (why do my hands always look weird in these things)

3 cups of flour

mix all of that together
now test your oil to see if it's ready...

then it's time to fry some of these up...
drop by teaspoonful into the hot oil and fry until brown...they will turn themselves over usually...(see how they look like mutant octopi!!)...fry in batches until all the batter is used

when they are done take them out and drain them on paper towels for a few minutes (somehow I forgot to take a picture of that...but...I think you can handle it on your own)

you need to put some powdered sugar (how much is up to you) in a ziploc baggie or a container with a lid...there will be shaking involved
take your mutant octopi and place them in the container with your powdered sugar....close the container and give it a few good shakes....

do this with every batch of "balls" and soon you will have a plate of mutant octopi (I mean snowballs) just waiting to be eaten...

these are so yummy (of course, I didn't get to eat any, but trust me...yummy)

don't you just want to grab it and eat it....mmmm



Snowballs (aka tasty mutant octopi)

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup of sugar
(cream these together until smooth)

Add
1 cup of mik
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (or nutmeg...your choice)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 cups of flour

oil for frying
powdered sugar for coating

In a large pot heat up 3 or 4 inches of oil to about 350 degrees, place powdered sugar in a ziploc bag or other container with a lid

in a bowl, cream together 2 eggs and 1 cup of sugar until smooth. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix into a batter. Once oil is hot, drop by teaspoonfuls into the oil. Cook in batches until brown (these will usually turn themselves over and cook both sides). Drain on a paper towel. Add in batches to your powdered sugar, shaking to coat.  Try not to eat too many at once....



No comments:

Post a Comment